Jan 20, 2007

Funny from Microsoft

From day one in Microsoft, everyone is talking about security... when u sit with your team lead, or any of your team members, they keep on warning u to always lock your pc before leaving it, even if u r just going to the bathroom or going to the room next to you, Because u have the Windows code on your machine, and there is a lot of people going around the building that are not allowed to c the code; so u always need to lock your machine... One of my team mates told me once that whenever some1 leaves the pc unlocked, some1 else send an e-mail from his outlook to the whole team to embarrass him... I didn’t pay a lot of attention, till one day I received these 3 mails in my inbox, starting with this e-mail:

To: All Developers
Subject: Hello, I am a teddy bear!

And I forgot my pants today!

Signed by: A.R
--------------------------------------------

I didn’t really understand what that is?!... Why would A.R (A British dev who just joined the team) send something like that?! Until I received this e-mail from a team lead (Who’s also British):

----------------------------------------------
To: All Developers
Subject: RE: Hello, I am a teddy bear!

Really? That must be embarrassing!
Almost as embarrassing as leaving your computer unlocked, perhaps?

Signed by: I
----------------------------------------------
Now that was funny, now I got it, so A.R really left his pc unlocked, and some1 sent this e-mail for him... But, it’s not over; A.R sent this e-mail later the same day:

----------------------------------------------
To: All Developers
Subject: RE: Hello, I am a teddy bear!

I,
As a fellow British; I would have thought you of all people would have realised this message was from an impersonator – I would of course use ‘trousers’ rather than ‘pants’ in any group-wide communication, to avoid any confusion as to what I meant.
I would have thought the prankster responsible ought to be the one most embarrassed... ;-)
Yours,
A.R

Did u get it? :-) Smart from I. to figure out that this was an un-locked pc case, even smarter and funnier e-mail sent by A.R. to reply and avoid a little embarrassment!

10 comments:

--_-- said...

funny and really smart from A.R.!
And BTW about the warning of leaving your computer unlocked, this is the nature of American ppl, I work in an American org. and they do always warn us about leaving our computers unlocked, exactly like what you've said, even last year me and a colleague were responsible for a server hacking that they told us it happened with our IP addresses. and since then i'm like logging out of the computer even if i'm going to the other corner of the room :p, anyways you gotta be really awake about this issue- cuz you really don't know what could happen- just to be on the safe side!

I really liked the way A.R. was trying to avoid his embarrassment:)

Hany Barakat said...

:-) Yeah, it’s a gr8 technique, if someone is laughing at u some way or another, making fun of u, or just being in an embarrassment situation, just a joke and laugh here and there will sort everything out. That's part of being socially smart!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hany, I really love the atmosphere in Microsoft. I could never imagine that happening in the company I work at here in Egypt. Unfortunately I didnt pass the interviews to Redmond.

Hany Barakat said...

Hi... I know there is a big gap between a worldwide software company and just a small local company with limited resources... I just hope that these small companies can be more flexible and at least try to follow these leads of software development! Wait until I post about the project management process here in MS, it's really amazing! About ur interview process, try to read my posts about the MS interview tips, and after the MS interview... the most important is, u must have gained experience from the interview process, u have to learn something out of it! And get ready to do it again, have another try, and study harder this time... Good luck... and if u need anything I'll be more than glad to help u. Thx.

Mohamed Moshrif said...

By the way, you can't say project management at Microsoft, because each product unit is using a project management model which best utilize its resources and projects, so you can say project management in Windows Serviceability product unit, because it's not fixed alone whole MSFT, even Windows Client product unit and Windows Server product unit may be using different models.

Hany Barakat said...

@Meshref... Thanks for pointing this out, actually it’s the project management for the project I’m working on now! Like this is how this project managed within this project team (it's not the windows team or even the windows serviceability team), it’s a small virtual team within the WinSE team that's going to develop a diagnostics tool to be shipped with Windows Longhorn server... Thanks for pointing this out.

--_-- said...

Da eeh el kalam el kebeer awy dah! wahda wahda alina ya gamaa :)

Hany Barakat said...

:-) la kalam kber wala 7aga! ento adaha w odod! w ba3dein msh fahma ! :-) el klam wade7 w sare7! :-) lama aktb el project managment w mfhmtesh, eb2y es2ly! w lw fe 7aga bardo msh fhmaha now, bardo es2ly! :-)

Hany Barakat said...

:-) w ba3dein mt2l2esh e7na nafsena msh fahmen awy keda!
:-) :-P

--_-- said...

Ah that's a relief cuz i felt like I'm a dummy person :D