Aug 15, 2006

Ain Sokhna Trip

Yesterday, I was going to Ain El Sokhna, we started this trip at 5:30pm.. I just had my car battery replaced with a new one, so everything should be pretty fine.. Suddenly, on the middle of the road after 50 Kilos.. The car's battery indicator turned red.. These indicators don't turn on unless there is something wrong.. But it turned off after 5 min or something.. So, I was relieved... Then.. The ABS indicator turned on, then the Airbag system indicator turned on...

I pulled over by the side of the road, no one was really on road coz we were in the middle of the week, and no one actually take a vacation in the middle of the week. Anyway, I pulled over, turned off the car to take a look on the battery, maybe it has been installed in a wrong way or something, I took a look at the battery, everything is in place, everything is plugged in place. I came back into the car, turned it on.. And the engine doesn't start, its not turning on.
I tried to look again at the battery installation, but everything seems in place. I called my cousin, He's a mechanical engineer and very good at what he do, and me and his car have the same engine too. Anyway, he told me don't stop the car engine (He didn't know yet the I already stopped it). By this time, Another car pulled over to check on me, he asked if I need any help, Thank god one of them was actually a mechanic, he took a look at the battery, and he said its installed correctly, but since my car is automatic, we can't just give it a push and start the engine. I had wires so that we can connect my car battery with his, and we did, and I finally started the engine, my cousin told me to stop by the nearest gas station and check on the battery, and that there two options that could have done this, either the battery is bad, or the dynamo is not working.
I pulled over at the next gas station that I found, there were two guys at first who seemed didn't know much about anything, I told them not to touch anything, anyway the electrician in the gas station came, he checked it, over, and over, and over again.
And finally he came with the conclusion that the dynamo is not working. I called my cousin, he had the same opinion as the electrician, and they both told me that all we can do is, just charge the battery, then I have to drive all the way back to Cairo which is 60 Kilos away, without turning any lights on(it was almost 9pm), because all the electric of the car now is depending on the battery..
we charged it, I went on my way, took the first U turn, and headed back to Cairo, I turned off my lights, and I was going behind a microbus depending on his lights..
unfortunately, my car just dropped of battery, because the dynamo is not working, and it turned off by itself.
The bad and the good thing in all this was that my Mom was with me.. I called my cousin to tell him to call his friend who has those big cars to left our car all the way to Cairo, then I called 8000 (mobinil personal services) took the lifting car service of Mobil. I called them, they said they will send me one of their cars now. And they did.. The Mobil car arrived almost at 11:30, we lifted my car, drove to Cairo, sent the car to the mechanic, me and mom took all the stuff that we cant keep in the car (lots of stuff coz we were going in a vacation). Took a taxi back to home, and arrived home at 2:00 am. :-) WOW.. What a trip and a nice vacation!!.. Forgot to tell u, the sky was really clear while waiting for 3 hours in the desert, the stars where amazing, and only one car pulled over to check if we need anything or any help, only one car, all others just drove by!..

2 comments:

Mohamed Moshrif said...

Yes, I also said that it's the dynamo (we called it here alternator), because I had a similar situation, one day I parked my car, and after 2 hours I get outside to go for some place, and it was not started, I called the lifting company, and they took the car to BMW dealership to check it, and they told me the alternator is dead.

But to fix it there, it will cost me so much while I can fix it with less than half the money, so I drove the car back to home and called the mechanic to schedule a meeting in the following day to fix it.

In the next day, the battery was dead again, but for my luck, I was having another car at this time, so I charged the battery from the other car and drove the car to the mechanic, the best this here that while I was driving, things begin to fail, first dynamic stability control is turned off, then ABS is turned off, then air bags turned off, then the transmission failed to the emergency state (the car is still drivable but with minimal power and acceleration), and finally it stopped completely at the entrance of the high way, at least you stopped in a good place, for me I was blocking the high way :D

Hany Barakat said...

:-) Actually.. I stopped on the highway too (Twice)... but thax god I got the chance to stop on the right of the road.. It was so dark without the lights on that I cant see infornt of the car, and we were in the middle of the desert..